Handicap dating Vallensbæk
In the 12th-16th centuries, Skanderborg Castle functioned as the traditional hunting retreat of the Danish kings.
In the years of 1717-22, King Frederik IV began demolishing the old original medieval structures and replaced the former fortifications with terraced gardens.
It is located within the park of Skanderborg Dyrehave near the pond of Lillesø, close to town. Skanderborg Museum has their headquarters at Adelgade 5, a former bailiff (Danish: foged) house from the mid 18th century.
The main buildings were erected in 1935 and designed by architectural firm C. The buildings are located in the oldest parts of the town, next to the pond of Lillesø.
Over time, the town has grown into a suburb of Aarhus to the north east, connected by the urban areas of Stilling, Hørning and Hasselager.The German Luftwaffe built their Danish headquarters here and one of the bunkers later found use as the command centre for the civil defence agency during the cold war era.